20 Jun 2022 - 22 Jun 2022
The "Ecological Wetland Restoration" training is aimed at wetland managers and practicioners. The training will be organised by Tour du Valat, with the support of MedWet, in the framework of the project “Strengthening the restoration of Mediterranean Wetlands for nature and people”, coordinated by WWF Spain and financed by MAVA Foundation and the Waterlands project.
Duration: 3 days half-day training, including virtual field visits.
Participants: wetland managers and technicians from different restoration sites around the Mediterranean basin. It is free of charge.
Languages: French with simultaneous translation into English.
Facilitators: François Mesléard, Hugo Fontes, Loïc Willm, Brigitte Poulin, Gaëtan Lefebvre and Marc Thibault (Tour du Valat)
Main topics: The following topics will be covered during the visit:
- Restoration history and theoretical framework;
- Experiences and practices of Mediterranean wetland restoration;
- Nature-based solutions;
- Restoration adapting to climate change (Mar-o-Sel); and
- Three site visits (Former saltworks, temporary marshes of Camargue and Caissaire)
Proposed agenda Monday, June 20: (François Mesléard, Marc Thibault and Brigitte Poulin) 9:00-10:45 Restoration history and theoretical framework:
- Short history of restoration
- Why restore?
- Ecological restoration
- Restoration ecology
Rehabilitation, creation, restoration 10:45-11:00 Coffee break 11:00-12:00 Virtual site visit (Former saltworks)
Tuesday, June 21: (François Mesléard, Hugo Fontes, Loïc Willm) 9:00-10:45. Experiences and practices of Mediterranean wetland restoration
- examples of restoration of Mediterranean wetlands: from simple actions to complex processes based on a scientific approach when recreating a wetland
- Plan the restoration Monitoring and evaluation 10:45-11:00 Coffee break 11:00-12:00 Virtual site visit (Temporary marshes of Camargue)
Wednesday, June 22: (Brigitte Poulin, Loïc Willm, François Mesléard) 9:00-10:45 Restoration adapting to climate change (Mar-o-Sel) 10:45-11:00 Coffee break 11:00-12:00 Virtual site visit (Cassaire)
Contact: Lisa Ernoul, Tour du Valat firstname.lastname@example.org